Sunday, January 22, 2012

6 Months & Courageous

I know it's been a while, but life just happens sometimes. There have been several events and thoughts that I've had that I wished I would of documented better. For any new parent out there, I would highly encourage them to document events and take as many pictures as possible. Time flies by and the hours quickly become days/weeks and eventually it's been six months.

Toby currently has two bottom teeth, he's sitting up on his own and he's going to start crawling any day now. My two favorite things about him is how he talks all the time. Some of his sounds are actually real words! Of course he doesn't know what he's saying, but it still so cute and it melts me. The other things that is absolutely adorable is his smile. The smile he gives me when I come home, wake him up from a nap or when I enter the room, is so big and full of life. It's hard to explain & pictures don't even capture it. Looking into his eyes, you can tell that he's a loving, sweet & very intelligent boy. A lot of that is because Steph is such an incredible loving mother. She's definitely has a sweet touch & Toby absolutely adores her. We also have the blessing of having Steph's dad (Dana) stay with us & help watch Toby while we are at work. Dana enjoys being Toby, the two of them play, learn and play. They read together, sing together and count together. Toby laughs and giggles with Dana all day. I feel at peace knowing that Dana is watching him.


Recently, I saw the movie Courageous and let me tell you something, it hit me hard. I strongly recommend this movie for anyone who is or plans on being a father. Until I saw Courageous, I've only cried during two other movies. During Courageous, I cried during four different scenes. The movie isn't about crying or even the fact it has a good message. The movie is so much more than that. This movie can uniquely connect to the deepest parts of your emotion and to the parts that show how my "good enough" falls way short of God's standard. This movie showed my Spirit man on what type of father I want and need to be. I refuse to live life of mediocrity and excuses. I know it is my calling to be a player, an impact player, one that holds the standard and fights the good fight. I will be a father for my son, I will teach him about what is right, not some liberal school system, not video games and certainly not TV. My son will know who is father is and will know that he is loved by him. Toby will see what it looks like for a man to submit to God and to know that all good things come from him. I look forward to instilling my values into Tobiah and I'm excited for all that life has in store for my family.
Below is the Resolution message and final speech from the movie "Courageous".

The Resolution Message:
"I do solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children. 
I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.
I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.
I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.
I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly. 
I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy. 
I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion. 
I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.
I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.
I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God. 
I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will. 
I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. ---Joshua 24:15"

 The Final Speech
"There are some men who, regardless of the mistakes we’ve made in the past, regardless of what our fathers did not do for us, will give the strength of our arms and the rest of our days to loving God with all that we are and to teach our children to do the same—and whenever possible, to love and mentor others who have no father in their lives but who desperately need help and direction. And we are inviting any man whose heart is willing and courageous to join us in this resolution. God’s Word shows us that God desires for every father to courageous step up and do whatever it takes to be involved in the lives of his children. More than just being there for them or providing for them, he is to walk with them through their young lives and be a visual representation of the character of God, their Father in heaven. In my home, the decision has already been made. You don’t have to ask who will guide my family because, by God’s grace, I will. You don’t have to ask who will teach my son to follow Christ because I will."Who will accept the responsibility of providing and protecting my family? I will. Who will ask God to break the chain of destructive patterns in my family? I will. Who will pray for, and bless my children to boldly pursue whatever God calls them to do? I am their father, I will.

So where are you, men of courage? Where are you, fathers who fear the Lord?
It’s time to rise up and answer the call God has given you and say,
I will! I will! I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment