Monday, August 15, 2011

Cliches, a First and Nicknames

There are so many cliches about babies. They have their parents wrapped around their fingers and the baby needs to train his parents on how to raise him. I can see how those are very true, but the cliche that I think is most applicable is that they are the ones that run the family. Steph and I will tell each other I'm going to do these things (laundry, clean, empty dishwasher etc.) then we will need to feed him, but with just a few squawks, our priorities are changed and even depending on the type/volume it becomes an even more urgent matter. I'm definitely trying to learn what each squawk, cry and noise all means. I do admit there are times when is a little angry and is so loud that I don't know what to do with him. So, I do what any good father would do..."STEPH! Your child wants you!" True story! Then when Steph comes starts to settle him down I will ask him to tell us his story. "What are your adventures"? (I learned that from Em and Zeker). It's a fun game that we play.

I changed Tobiah's clothes today for the first time by myself. I still get really nervous and anxious about breaking him, so changing him requires a lot of adjusting and careful precision. That is why I haven't changed his clothes on his own. Since I was going to change him, I got to decided what he was going to wear. I picked out a Twins onesie and grey pants. It is super cute if I say so myself. I did took me a few minutes to get his arms through his sleeves, which is the scariest part because I don't want his fingers to get caught and bend backwards. Then to actually slide the outfit down his back was probably another comedy routine as instead of pulling the onesie down, I kept sliding him down the changing table. Quite hilarious and not nearly as proficient as Steph is when she changes him.

Hunny showing a little affection to Tobiah
Hunny (our beagle) is still getting used to the little guy. If you bring him to her or call her over to him she'll keep a noticeable difference. She doesn't seem to be quite as sulky as she was during the first week we brought him home, but she is still a little different. I keep telling her the days of food being dropped on the floor and fingers to be licked aren't far away. She does have an instinct to be protective of him. If Tobiah is crying, she will usually have her tail tucked and lay on the floor close to him. When Steph is feeding him she will be right underneath Steph's feet starring at the door. So she is starting to get the big sister thing down. It won't be long until they are chasing each other in the back yard.

If anyone knows me, they know that I have nicknames for people. It is something I've always done and I hope people enjoy. Anyways, I figured I should make a list of nicknames that I have given Tobiah since he has been born. There is no doubt in my mind that I will give him a bunch more in life, but I thought it would be fun to list out the names that I have come up with and call him on a regular basis. They are: Toby, Tobester, T, TW, Tobiah the Great, Buddy, Father's child, The Many Faces of Tobiah, Tobidiah Springfield, baby bird & boy.

One Million Dollars
In my last post I talked about how we had our baby pictures completed by Katie Silus (highly recommend, visit her at www.katherinesilus.com or facebook her. Let her know what you need completed and that Darek sent you. I promise you that you won't be disappointed). All pictures in this blog are from her and the photos she took. I think she did a great job of capturing him and getting the many faces of Tobiah documented.


No comments:

Post a Comment